Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Westchester Public Library Sidewalk Astronomy

Photobucket

April 20, 2010 Westchester Public Library, Chesterton, Indiana


Finally during Global Astronomy Month 2010, I have the night’s best showpieces in the evening sky. With that in mind, I contacted Westchester Public Library in Chesterton a few weeks ago about doing Sidewalk Astronomy. They gave me permission to set up telescopes any night I choose to this week. Last night it was clear enough to get good looks at our Moon and Saturn.

Photobucket


Photobucket


I figured a public library is as good a place as any to find curious people willing to look up for a few minutes. I was only out from 7:30-9:00 PM, and Saturn didn't make an appearance until around 8:00, but I had quite a few people come by and have a look in both of my telescopes. I didn't get many pictures, but it was a fun night for me. I had quite a few long stretches when nobody was going in or out, but they seemed to come and go in bunches. The best group was when the library closed, and most of the staff came by to see what was going on. Another lady that I see studying often was with them, and was really blown away by the Moon, and completely overwhelmed by Saturn. Really, I can't blame her.

There was a darker side to the session, but I want to save that for another time. Nothing horrible, but I think it deserves a separate post, maybe one day when I don't have much else to write about. As I was putting the telescopes into my car though, I had a good feeling, and was glad so many people stopped to take a look. If the sky stays clear, I will be back out there tonight. If so, I will probably just edit that story and pictures to this one.


Photobucket


Photobucket

Views of our Moon as seen last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment