Powered By Blogger

Friday, August 20, 2010

Astronomy Night at U.S. Steel Yard

Since at least the time I started writing my blog, I’ve assumed that any place with people around and a decent view of the sky is a good location for astronomy. Monday night I proved my hypothesis, setting up telescopes inside the U.S. Steel Yard minor league ballpark, home of the Gary Southshore Railcats. The downtown location alone might turn off most astronomers, not to mention the pollution from U.S Steel Gary Works, which is located within sight of the stands. Throw in the bright lights that a professional baseball game requires, and few astronomers would have the guts to try any serious astronomy.

Last July I presented Railcats General Manager Roger Wexelberg an idea to use astronomy to entertain and educate fans during a ballgame, and he agreed to try it. Monday, August 16 presented a favorable lunar phase and position, and the weather was good for viewing. Hillary and I got to the Steel Yard early, before gates were open to the public to meet with Roger, and have the telescopes set up before fans arrived. Our location, literally out in right field, wasn’t the best for foot traffic around the ballpark, but we posted signs along the concourse pointing the way.


Photobucket

Photobucket

We were way out in right field, but...

Photobucket

...had a great view of the Moon.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

A South Shore train heading to South Bend behind the ballpark.


Photobucket

It was Elvis Night. Stadium entertainer Jason Yurechko as Elvis.


Things were slow early on, during daylight, but after an announcement that we were hosting a lunar viewing, and the Moon became more visible in the twilight, several dozen fans found their way out to the right field concourse to see the Moon up close. A few were even lucky enough to see Venus and Saturn. We lost Saturn though, because I didn’t have the go-to tracking until after we got really busy, and was manually slewing every so often. I had Saturn in the Dob, and didn’t want to lose it in the eyepiece, so I asked Hillary to move the telescope over to the Moon without specifying which telescope. Score an error on me for that one.

I had wanted to strictly focus on the Moon, and had a program ready to explain the lunar cycle, along with an observing challenge to identify lunar landmarks, but that was scrapped at the last minute because we lacked a table to set up, and just carrying the telescopes, step stool, and handouts into the ballpark was a workout. I didn’t want to overdo it by hauling out a plethora of excessive resources.


Photobucket

Our first guests!


Photobucket

Photobucket

Things picked up when it started getting dark, and the Moon became more noticeable.

Photobucket

Venus between the stadium lights.


Of course we kept an eye on the action of the game, but since we were there for an astronomical observation I used the slow early innings to explore the regions around Mare Nectaris and Mare Serenitatis. I never get bored of the features surrounding those lunar seas.

The 5th through 8th innings seemed to be our busiest times. It didn’t hurt us that there is a playground behind the center field batter’s eye backdrop, and many parents taking their kids to play stopped to see what was going on. It wasn’t until about the 8th inning that the Moon approached the light bank along the right field foul line, and the glare down the optical tubes started to wash out the view. My 4.5” go-to made it’s first public appearance in a month, and I was happy with it’s performance. In the afternoon I re-aligned the secondary mirror, and gave it a quick collimation. It wouldn’t take high magnification, but it did well with a 25mm eyepiece, 39x magnification. When the Moon drifted near the light banks, the go-to actually gave better views than the Dob, since it’s positioning wasn’t allowing as much stray light down the OTA, and while I had it tracking, it kept the Moon in sight for long stretches. I was one happy astronomer having both telescopes working well.


Photobucket

Photobucket

I had the Chicago Astronomer warning sign taped to my telescope.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



My sister and brother-in-law came out for the game, and stopped to hang out for awhile, and I appreciated that they came out to support me. I had hoped for a little higher attendance, both for the ballgame and at my telescopes, but any time I can get out and get people to look up at the sky is a successful event. I thank the Railcats for going along with my crazy idea, and for letting me combine two of my favorite ways to enjoy a summer night, watching a baseball game and watching the sky.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Left to right: My brother-in-law Cecil, my sister's friend Pam, my sister Dawn, and Hillary. I was glad to see them come out for some baseball and astronomy.

3 comments:

  1. I think the attendance that I heard on the radio Tuesday morning was 3,626, so I had about 1% of the fans that night come by and look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this effort! Well done Paulie this took some guts to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe...I like that you frequently post up Chicago Astronomer paraphernalia...!

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete